FIND A COUNSELOR IN YOUR LOCAL AREA
All ROCK Solid Living services are offered nationwide. However, since we currently offer counseling services to clients within the Greater New Orleans (GNO) Area ONLY. We recommend to others outside the GNO area that you contact the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) at nbcc.org to find a counselor who has met the highest professional standards to earn the National Certified Counselor (NCC) credential.
The success of counseling often depends on how well the counselor and client fit together as people, and not every counselor will be a good match for you.
Begin your search for a counselor by following these steps:
- Log on to nbcc.org and go to “Find a Counselor”
- Enter your city and state.
- Choose “No Preference. Search All.”
- Click “Enter”
- You will receive a list of National Certified Counselors and their areas of specialization within your local area. Begin calling counselors based on the counselor’s area of expertise.
- The first visit usually determines if you and the counselor are a good fit for one another. See The Counselor-Client Fit below for a list of questions you should ask to determine if the counselor might be a good fit before your first visit.
All of the counselors listed with the NBCC have met high standards of education (master’s degree or beyond) and clinical experience (a minimum of 700 hours), passed a national exam and hold the NCC credential. They must also adhere to NBCC’s professional code of ethics within their professional practice. Counselors cannot be licensed within their states without this credential.
Tips for Finding Affordable Counseling in Your Area.
Professional counseling rates may range from $75-$100 per hour. Counseling may be covered by your insurance. Listed below are tips for finding free to low cost counseling in your area.
The Counselor-Client Fit – Choosing the right counselor
Once you have a list of potential counselors, it is a good idea to have a brief discussion with each of them by phone before making your choice. Call the counselor on the phone and briefly describe your situation and reasons for seeking counseling.
Many people feel nervous when talking to a new person about personal issues, including a new counselor. The success of counseling often depends on how well the counselor and client fit together as people, and not every counselor will be a good match for you. If after several sessions you do not feel comfortable talking with your counselor, or you don’t think that your counselor’s suggestions are helpful, you may want to consider finding a new one.